Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Moving is always so difficult

Well, I have officially made the move to 0.0 space and met my new corp members pod-to-pod.

Of course, I sit here in the bar without ships, guns or ammo.

Which drove home the point to me that is near and dear to my heart. Amateurs talk about tactics and professionals talk about LOGISTICS.

Alexander the Great said it best. "

My logisticians are a humorless lot ... they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay."

Logistics for a corporation, or alliance, have the same impact in Eve as they do in real life. The ability to quickly bring materials and people from manufacturing centers in Highsec to Nullsec will make or break campaigns. For example, I sit here without a ship while my new corporation struggles mightily to get my 60,000mm worth of stuff to my new home. I am completely depended on that logistical train. Now in Eve you mention logistics and you immediately have people thinking of the ship type, where in reality that is a combat function not LOGISTICS.

In logistics you must be ahead of the combat curve. The pause into Iraq for OIF wasn't because the Iraqis were slowing us down, but the simple fact that the Allied forces couldn't get fuel and ammo to the combat forces fast enough given how quickly they had moved. It’s easier in Eve because of the static nature of system sovereignty change, although I bet that AAA and folks had a difficult time keeping ships and TCUs in the right place given how fast they swept through CVA space.

As you plan any corporation or alliance the first item you must have is the logistics train to take out ores/minerals/loot that will be turned into manufactured goods needed to carry on combat operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment